April 25, 2019
We have many free garden seminars, free guided nature hikes & free to sliding scale hands-0n herbalist classes. This page offers a quick next-up, easy-reference timeline to help you fill your calendar with all of our programs – free hikes, free & for-fee seminars, maker’s markets and more.
Some programs are free and don’t require registration. Others may require registration (whether free or for-fee). As registration opens up, we’ll update the links here as soon as possible. And, of course, if you want to be notified directly, be sure to subscribe to our mailing list now. That’s your very best bet to get regular updates (especially during our busy spring and summer seasons!) There’s also Robin’s Great Garden Speaker page to follow here.
(This is list will be updated regularly to add new programs & remove past programs.)
- Hands-on Herbal Grow, Harvest & Prepare Classes
- Dates: Summer 2020 to be announced soon!
- Location: Skagit Valley locations to be announced soon!
- Details: We’re working on several dates & venues for hands-on beginner herbal growing, harvesting, preserving and crafting classes for 2020. Enrollment will be limited.
- Notification sign up: If you’d like to join us, sign up for our mailing list to be sure you are among the first to find out when our enrollment opens. Classes will fill up fast! Subscribe to our mailing list here.
- Padilla Bay Environmental Research Center Upland Trail Walks
- Dates: Every 2nd Saturday, March-October 2020, *** March 14th Walk has been cancelled due to high winds***
- Time: 10am
- Location: Bay View, WA (Skagit County). Meet at the Arbor at the start of the upland trail.
- Cost: Free
- Maker’s Markets, Pop up Shops & Farmer’s Markets
- Dates: Spring to Fall 2020 schedule coming soon
- Details: We are working on several market applications now for the 2020 season. We hope to join other local growers & makers to bring shoppers our truly local, handmade goods. If you are hosting a program & think we’d be a good fit, please get in touch!
- Willowbrook Manor Evening Tea + Herbalist & Gardening Presentations
- 2020 Dates: June 20th, July 11th, August 15th & September 19th
- Times: Saturdays at 5pm
- Location: Sedro-Woolley, WA
- Etsy Samples & Sales: Robin will be sampling & selling botanical body goods on site. Cash, check & Credit/Debit accepted.
- Details: Robin will be presenting herbalist demos and gardening seminars following a delicious dinner tea service in the gardens (or tea rooms should weather not cooperate) of Willowbrook Manor Tea House & Chamomile Farm. AirBnB and glamping accommodations may be available. Contact Willowbrook Manor for all reservations. Full schedule, seminar details, menu & pricing information to come.
- San Juan County Master Gardeners 2020 Annual Conference Keynote
- Date: 10/17/20
- Location: San Juan Island
- Etsy Samples & Sales: Robin will be sampling & selling our botanical body goods before & after the club meeting. Cash or check only. Credit/Debit in a pinch.
- Additional Details to come
- Hands-on Herbal Grow, Harvest & Prepare Classes
January 25, 2019
It’s amazing how quickly ten years of speaking at NWFGS, aka the Northwest Flower and Garden Show/Festival has flown by. This year, 2019, marks the 10th year I (Robin) have been invited to speak at the show. Gulp!
I hope you’ll join me at the newly branded NW Flower & Garden Festival on Sunday, February 24th at 2:15pm in the Rainier Room for Growing a Garden of Fragrant Delights.
Want to get into NWFGS for free in 2019?
(You’re still welcome to subscribe for free, but this offer is no longer available to new subscribers.)
Be sure you’re subscribed to our mailing list before February 1, 2019 for a chance at our subscriber-only free ticket opportunity!
This year I’m super excited to be speaking about growing fragrance in our gardens, being thoughtful about placement of some super stinky plants, appreciating wild aromas, and bringing the delicious scents of nature into our homes in fresh and preserved forms in ways that may be healing as well as aromatic. I’ll also be sharing samples of the handmade products crafted from fragrant garden delights that we now sell in our GardenMentorsDesigns Etsy Shop!
Before I became a NWFGS speaker, I was involved with the show in many other ways. Over the years, I worked with some amazing folks to create award-winning show gardens. I’ve coached clients in their award-winning floral creations and City Living Displays.
No matter how I participated in the show each year — as a tourist in my pre-participant years or as a show garden volunteer in my student (and later years) or as a designer or speaker in my professional years — the NW Flower & Garden Show always been an annual highlight and honor for me.
For fun, here’s a recap of my decade of NWFGS Seminars: (more…)
January 10, 2019
Our handmade herbal body products are now for sale on Etsy & via our embedded stop here!
Our handmade salves, beard oil, body oil, face oil, belly oil, deodorant, kisser cake lip balms, hydrosols and more have become so popular that we’ve put them up for sale in the GardenMentorsDesigns Etsy shop. These herbal goodies are all inspired by our love of the natural world and the human connection to . Much of what we sell is derived from herbal flora we grow with intention, forage ethically in the wild, or harvest with permission from friends’ gardens.
Air Refreshers & External Body Care:
If you like our shop offerings, be sure to favorite it. On special occasions we’ll send out offers to folks who love our store and shop there, and often shoppers will get a reward for making a purchase too.
And, if you aren’t subscribed to our mailing list, sign up soon. Our subscribers always get the best of our giveaways and discounts!
If there’s something missing from the store that you’d like to see us offer, get in touch. We’ll do our best to produce the handmade herbal items our shoppers love most.
June 27, 2018
Join us & spend a day learning at our gardening workshop & tour.
In response to seeing our photos and hearing our gardening transformation tales, many clients and followers have requested visits to our garden. So, we’ve decided to offer a one-day educational retreat day here this summer.
But, this won’t be a typical “look at the magazine perfection” tour.
Instead, we’ll take a realistic view of the overall space and consider what works, what doesn’t work, opportunities, challenges and the true beauty of a garden always in progress. Too, there will be door prizes, farm-fresh good eats and time to relax in a gorgeous setting.
Just a few of the things we’ll explore together:
- Developing a traditional food garden
- Thriving in poor, wet soils
- Is that a weed or what?
- Perennial food & medicinal plant gardens
- Taking advantage of water challenges
- Reducing lawn
- The ugly truths: weeds, trash, hardscape, pets & more
- A picnic
- Exploring the forest
- Native flora & fauna
- Invasive flora & fauna
- A walk in the park
- Shop our small nursery, hand-crafted goods & more space
- After the class, pick your own berries
- Self-guided walk on the Padilla Bay shore trail before or after our program begins
How much does it cost & when is it happening?
This event happens August 11, 2018. Cost is $200/person, payable in advance. Attendance will be limited, and we are only accepting a few more sign ups as of this writing.
Want to join us?
Get in touch via our contact page indicating your interest in the event asap. We’ll get back to you right away to start your enrollment process.
February 19, 2018
For 2018 we’ve upped our educational giving back program with a number of free gardening events throughout the year. In addition to resuming our guided flora and fauna nature walks at the Breazeale Environmental Learning Center’s upland trail, Robin will also be offering a few free seminars at the center as well. All of these educational opportunities are open to everyone for free. (Although donations to the Breazeale Center certainly won’t be turned away!)
Following is the current schedule, so mark your calendar, and please pre-register for any or all of these events so we can be prepared for each group. And, bookmark this page or sign up for our mailing list just in case we announce more programs in the future.
Flora & Fauna Nature Walks: (more…)
(Qualifying purchases made through affiliate &/or sponsored links on this page and others on this site pay a small percentage to Garden Mentors.)